Friday, January 10, 2014

10 Random Nuggets About Me


For months I've been pulled to open up + share more + ultimately, connect more with you on a deeper level. My natural instinct is to keep what's personal close to my heart and allowing myself to be vulnerable definitely does not come easy - it makes me squirm a little, to be honest! Like everyone, I go through moments of self-doubt and resistance... peppered with "but... what will people think of me?!"

It's my hope that by being transparent and open, you will be able to relate to some of my experiences, and maybe you'll find comfort in knowing you aren't alone. I want you to know that there's a real person behind the screen, typing away to you - experiencing so much of what you are, living through the ups and downs, and putting in the work to live more FULLY. To become aligned with myself. To access the love + joy that resides in each and every one of us. I want you to know that the words I write in this space come from the heart and often are glimpses into what I'm experiencing in that moment. We're in this journey together.

10 RANDOM NUGGETS ABOUT ME:


1. I'm a Leo and an INFJ - with a strong tilt towards introversion, even though I grew up thinking I was extraverted. What a revelation (and relief) that was!

2. I'm the youngest of three in my family, and the only girl. Growing up, I was hugely influenced by my brothers - blasting punk rock through my car stereo, immersed myself into every non-fiction book I could get my hands on (topics like politics, human rights, and activism were big players), I rebelled against the norm - donning baggy pants and an array of hair colours, and spent many weekends giving food to the homeless.

3. I'm a total book nerd. I want to own ALL THE BOOKS! Despite having quite a few that I've yet to finish, I can't seem to stop myself. One of my favourites is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, which we included during our wedding ceremony. Currently I'm reading A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, after completely falling in love with The Power of Now last year.

4. The years during high school were some of the darkest years of my life. I felt incredibly alone, confused, lost, unsure of who I was, misunderstood, and like I didn't fit, anywhere. Depression was an all-encompassing hole that I was sucked into and had no idea how to get out of. I look back with both sadness and compassion for that girl, it would be a long, long time before she would find peace.

5. I'm madly in love with thunderstorms. (The night I saw the CN Tower get struck by lightning 21 times (no joke) was basically the best ever!)

6. When I was 20, I ended a 4-year long emotionally abusive relationship for good. A year into our relationship, he got hooked on hard drugs and did everything from lie, cheat, steal, and manipulate. He told me I was worthless, nobody would ever love me, and I'd be alone forever. I believed him and left anyway.

7. At the beginning of 2010, I met the love of my life at a Super Bowl party. We had both sworn off relationships, and despite spending any and all moments that we could together, we would spend the better part of 6 months denying that we were together. Early 2011, I would take a leap of faith, leave my job, pack up my bags, and move to Toronto in a tiny, cramped one bedroom apartment with him. He restored my faith in love and showed me that real love, unconditional love exists. (The rest is history;)

8. I'm deeply intrigued by who we are as humans - both the light and the dark, what makes us tick, what resonates, what challenges us, what pushes us past the blocks around our hearts. I can dive into deep soul conversations for hours and hours. Connecting with people, sharing perspectives, empowering each other to live bigger - and more boldly - seriously lights me up. Big time.

9. A spiritual adventurer, wildly interested in astrology, chakras, and the power within us to heal ourselves, with a growing crystal collection. I often start my day by pulling an oracle card or two, and am in the process of turning meditation into a non-negotiable - because life just feels lighter when I do.

10. A lover of movin' my body:  I feel connected + rejuvenated when I'm stretching it out on my yoga mat - both in the comfort of my home, and during Bikram Hot Yoga. Rock climbing makes me feel strong + accomplished. Hiking in nature is a new love and ignites a sense of freedom like no other. Hopping on my mini-trampoline helps me move stagnant energy around - in a snap.

Random, stream-of-consciousness facts about me: addicted to tea - with honey and lemon, can't stand beer, white wine over red, lover of candlelight, snuggles, big blankets, vinyl, and fresh flowers. Sings first thing in the morning, a total summer baby, tends to be quite shy at first, feels free while dancing, guided by intuition and feelings, can be quite sensitive, fiercely loyal, despises shopping, loves getting new things, (that one's tricky), road trips are the perfect combo of peace + adventure, selfies make me feel awkward, believes that belly laughs are a cure-all and that connecting with the essence of who we are makes magic happen, writing is my jam.

ENOUGH ABOUT ME - YOUR TURN: Let's get to know each other better, share something unique/ random/ totally awesome about yourself in the comments - and - if you have any questions, SHOOT! The floor is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis