Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Horseshoe Resort



Growing up, my school had ski field trips. The whole class would go together, all bundled up in their snow gear, and spend the day outside in the snow. Scooting along in those tiny little skis, falling, laughing, falling, and laughing. Followed up by eagerly awaiting for that cup of delicious hot chocolate. Complete with big, fluffy marshmallows. Because hot chocolate just isn’t the same without marshmallows.
 
At least that’s how I pictured those days. Because without fail, as I crawled out of bed on the morning of those glorious ski trip days, I was sick. Well, at least, I pretended to be. I didn’t want to go. I didn’t know how to ski and I was going to look stupid. To put it simply, I was afraid. I made excuses time and time again so I wouldn’t have to face those fears. I mean, why not? Why do something when you’re afraid of doing it? Why do something that might make you look silly?
 
Because that’s where the magic happens, that’s why.
 
That’s what this weekend was all about, as we headed up to the Horseshoe Resort. It was celebrating Sebastian’s birthday. It was spending time with some of our most favourite people. It was enjoying the outdoors. (Which hardly ever happens in this cold-snap we call Winter!) It was strapping on those skis, looking fear in the face, and barreling down that hill without looking back.
 
And you know what? I did fall. And sometimes, yea, I looked pretty silly. (Some of those falls were pretty epic.) But as I looked around as the snow was gently falling from the sky, layer by layer, covering the trees that surrounded us, it was bea-uuu-tiful. And all of that fear, all of that doubt, washed away. (And I learned how to pizza slice with the best of ‘em:)


When's the last time you got out of your comfort zone? I have a feeling this is just the beginning...

10 comments:

  1. The slope looks amazing in the last photo. I'm a little scared of skiing, but I hope to try it one day. Well done you for giving it a shot. I don't remember the last time I did something out of my comfort zone, so I should probably do something pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned to love throwing caution to the wind. I always ask myself "What's the worst that could happen?" And then convince myself that the worst that could happen isn't really all that bad. I ask that guy out, and what's the worst that could happen? He tells me no. Well, is that really going to put me in a place that's any different from where I am now? Not really. I want to work out, but don't have the best looking workout clothes. What's the worst that could happen? Someone thinks I look stupid. Well, so do I, so, yeah...

    I've also learned that if you're always afraid of looking like a fool, you'll never be seen as a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, I've never skied before but it might be fun, as long as the slopes aren't too steep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't gone skiing since 2005 when I tore my ACL and meniscus on a double black diamond that was pure ice. I was such an idiot. (shaking my head in shame).

    In other news... these photos are GORGEOUS and if nothing else, your ski trip was worth it for these shots!

    http://likeordinarylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for a first skiing experience! I think it is so cool when adults decide to learn to ski! It is h-a-r-d! I have been skiing since I could walk, but I have more of an appreciation for people who pick it up later in life. I am really pushing myself to step outside my comfort zone these days. Just in about every way shape and form these days--which is good. Make you grow right? Hope you keep skiing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pizza pie and french fries, how I learned how to ski.
    I'll still never be good but I try. Just never make the mistake of following some boy down a black diamond trail. I made that mistake as a teenager and ended up stabbing myself in the head with my pole. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one point, I kind of "slipped" down the hill, spent all this time balancing myself out, and by the time I did, I was going SO FAST. I sped past Sebastian (who went down the hill WAY before me)

      By the time I hit the bottom of the hill, my heart was beating so fast... from then on, it was a lot of repeating "pizza slice, pizza slice, pizza slice." Hahaha..

      Live and learn :)

      Delete
  7. This looks like so much fun! And great photos as well.
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm so obsessed with that chandelier... pure perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Horseshoe!! Oh wow I have major deja vu going on right now.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis