Monday, October 08, 2012

The Sum Total of Our Choices


I've been searching for inspiration lately, and have been busy concentrating on keeping my eyes peeled. I find myself searching for something, even though I'm not entirely sure what that something is. It seems to be the constant in my life, I'm always craving more. More adventure, more excitement, more different experiences, more, more, more.

I don't know if I'll ever find it, but maybe that's the point? Because once you find exactly what you've been longing for, that means the search is over. Where's the fun in that?

So until then, I'll be searching high and low.
“We’re all faced throughout our lives with agonizing decisions, moral choices. Some are on a grand scale, most of these choices are on lesser points. But we define ourselves by the choices we have made. We are, in fact, the sum total of our choices. Events unfold so unpredictably, so unfairly, Human happiness does not seem to be included in the design of creation. it is only we, with our capacity to love that give meaning to the indifferent universe. And yet, most human beings seem to have the ability to keep trying and even try to find joy from simple things, like their family, their work, and from the hope that future generations might understand more.”
— Professor Levy played by Martin S. Bergmann, a New York University clinical professor in psychology, in the movie Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)

(Quote via swissmiss, photo taken by Sebastian)

9 comments:

  1. This my sound lame, but that quote really hit me. I read it three times. Love it. Keep the search alive! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummm. This sounds a whole lot like me at the moment. I feel the same way ... I have this "there's something more out there" feeling. I'm heading out to the mountains in a few days. I hope to find what I'm looking for there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true, we do define ourselves by big decisions. Inspiration is hard to find at some points as well. I'm having a hard time at the moment as well....ahhh the ebb and flow of life I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creativity/Inspiration is always something I'm searching for. It comes and goes, but I know if I keep paying attention and have an open mind if will come to me! I'm a big believer in constant growth. I'm not sure I'll ever get "enough" - once we reach a goal there is always something more we can reach for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so very true. i am constantly searching for more as well. i'll never be completely satisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quote as well. very well written

    I am new to the bloggy world :) stop by anytime, i came from Mommy Moments
    http://ramblingmomma03.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inspiring quote. Maybe the point is the journey, the process of discovery...That's how I've always looked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome quote! I read your about me section and I must agree that TED talks are so good! Many of the ones I've watched have been so inspiring. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commiserating on our "food babies". lol.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis